Building your capacity on advocacy and lobbying at the UN
"We should never negotiate from fear or fear to negotiate" John Kennedy
Over the past twenty five years I have run a number of successful campaigns at the UN. These include:
- Advising organizations on their Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Targets - securing a number of targets
- The introduction of stakeholder dialogues at the UN;
- In particular new governance processes for engaging stakeholders at UN Habitat, WHO European Environment Conference, UN Commission on Sustainable Development, UNEP GPA Conference;
- Secured water onto the UNFCCC agenda;
- Reformed sustainable development governance in particular for the creation of UNEO, the High Level Political Forum and the Follow up to the SDGs
- Guidelines for Corporate Sustainability Reporting;
- The four elements for the Rio+20 Conference (2012);
- The possibility for the World Summit on Sustainable Development (@002).
An advocacy campaigns is focused on the promotion of a particular cause.
A good advocacy campaign will have clear objectives, strategy, actions, and a realistic time-line. We can help you develop a successful Advocacy campaign. This would include the following elements:
- Advocacy Narrative: Develop with staff a clear narrative for the campaign.
- Advocacy Strategy: Develop a strategy for the campaign.
- Advocacy Mapping: Mapping out where your support is with other stakeholders.
- National Advocacy: Any successful campaign starts with your own government.
- UN Advocacy: Understanding the UN and how it operates and Where, when and how they can influence the negotiations
- Identify governments and officials: Identify the key governments and UN officials that need to be influenced – and the relationship that the organization has with them. Develop a plan on how to expand those relationships.
- Organize meetings with key governments and officials: having Identified the key people to see organize meetings with them for the campaign.
- UN Demystification: Understanding the relevant parts of the UN that you will be working with or trying to influence.
- UN Training: Training on how to lobby at the United Nations