Developing stakeholder engagement strategies and mapping
"Stakeholders are those that are impacted by a decision or those that impact on a decision."
Over the past twenty five years we have been a designer, organizer and promoter of stakeholder engagement at the local, national and global level.
This has included:
- Overseeing some of the best Local Agenda 21 processes in the UK (1993-97);
- Developing the UK sustainable development local indicators project with the UK Local Governance Association;
- New governance processes for engaging stakeholders at UN Habitat, WHO European Environment Conference, UN Commission on Sustainable Development, UNEP GPA Conference;
- Overseeing the NGO part of the stakeholder dialogue process at the UN Commission on Sustainable Development (1997-2001);
- Organizing the stakeholder dialogues for the Bonn Water (2001) Bonn Energy (2004) and the Bonn Nexus Conferences (2011);
- Developing the Implementation Conference for World Summit on Sustainable Development (2002)- which launched twenty three type two partnerships.
Dick Morris said: " we are moving from Madisonian Democracy (representative) to Jeffersonian Democracy (participatory)".
We am strong believers that we are in a period of developing stakeholder democracy on our path to participatory democracy.
Developing a coherent and robust strategy to engage stakeholders will enhance your reputation and ensure that the decisions taken are in the interest of the wider community.
We can help you to undertake:
- Stakeholder Mapping: Work with you on ensuring that you are aware of the relevant stakeholders for your organization;
- Stakeholder Training: Working with your staff on how to interact with stakeholders;
- Stakeholder Dialogues: Organize dialogues with relevant stakeholders for your organization;
- Stakeholder Partnerships: Facilitate the creation of stakeholder partnerships for your organization;
- Stakeholder Negotiations: Facilitate negotiations between your organization or institution and stakeholders.
Engaging the right stakeholders will be critical to your success, a first stage to this is stakeholder mapping. If you are a intergovernmental body, a government (at any level) or a company you will have different stakeholders that are relevant to you or your activity or proposed policy.